Friday, May 22, 2009

My Background

I am fairly familiar with the Web 2.0 technologies we have been discussing in Module 1. I have created and maintained blogs before, using Blogger, WordPress, and LiveJournal. I use Google Reader daily (I currently have 116 subscriptions, apparently!). I use Google Docs to work on documents, as I do my work on multiple computers. I have edited articles on Wikipedia. I use Facebook, Twitter, and Delicious on a daily basis, as well.

The most interesting course materials to me have been about specific ways that libraries are using these technologies. I read quite a few library blogs and try to keep up with these things, but the class readings have been interesting to me in this regard, as well. Meredith Farkas's presentation, in particular, contained examples of some really interesting implementations, such as the librarian who asks for collection development suggestions through a Facebook page, and the library that has set up a Q&A blog, in which they post all of the feedback they receive, and respond. I am most excited about the opportunities these technologies have to change the ways libraries communicate with their users (for the better, hopefully), and it is great to see this at work.

No comments:

Post a Comment